Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hope and 50 cent pieces

I know, I know....I blast onto the blog scene and then disappear. Well I have to be honest I can be inconsistent sometimes, but I will try to set myself a small goal of posting at least every couple of weeks.

You're especially going to be surprised when I tell you what I've been doing that last few weeks. But I digress. That will come in the next post to follow.

The word "hope" is a funny emotion that encompasses a simple, human belief that everyone has from time to time in a desired goal. When that goal seems unachievable or keeps eluding you like a long-lost relative in a dream, hope turns into it's evil twin named dread. An author I respect once said, "If you attach hope to a goal it becomes and expectation, therefore disappointment is inevitable if that expectation doesn't come to fruition."

On this journey I have learned not to put a lot of hope into every procedure, every twinge, ever day I'm late for AF,  every cycle. So I really can't remember the last time I really felt hope. It has become a defense mechanism, a way to protect myself from the pain of disappointment.

Since October we've been playing a "watching and waiting" game with our cycles. My history  gives a picture of what that's about. Hope has been trying to creep in, but I haven't let it. Until the other day when I got an omen from a very unlikely place. Driving home one evening after a stressful day at work I needed to grab some dinner. I ended up at a fast food drive-thru (don't worry I ordered the healthiest thing I could :)) I gave the cashier cash for the food and in change she gave me back a 50 cent piece. I was taken by surprise, because the significance of receiving this coin has many meanings for me.

First of all 50 cent pieces are rarely seen in circulation. Second, I have seen many in my childhood, because my dad used to collect them. They were something he valued very much. The reason why I say "used to" is because my dad is in the severe stages of Alzheimer's Disease. He would no longer even recognize what a 50 cent piece is anymore much less regard it with any value. When I received this coin it felt like he was speaking to me saying, "It's going to be O.K.."

A feeling of peace washed over me and an overwhelming sense that somehow or another it IS going to be O.K.. Maybe I've let a little bit of hope back in and carry it around in a special place in my wallet and my heart right along with that 50 cent peace.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing when small seemingly insignificant things end up meaning so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Cherm.....I definitely got choked up with this. Your dad is right, of course. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your blog update! its so pretty! and i agree. it's going to be ok. this particularly hits home for me in many ways right now, not only on the infertility side, but on other personal notes too... so thank you for sharing. hugs!... oh, and p.s... you can add my new blog to your sidebar if you like!

    ReplyDelete